Gunsmithing is nothing short of an art. It is a field that requires you to work with metal and wood to create masterpieces. To create the perfect piece each time, though, you need practice and precision. This is why entry-level hobbyists find it pretty hard to cope up with the expectations of this niche.
However, there are multiple milling machines for gunsmithing that can help you. You need to pick up a good benchtop option that comes with a CNC lathe. This combo will make the whole process considerably easier. Of course, we know your concern about finding the best that’s also affordable. That’s exactly why we are here! Please keep reading to explore the best milling machines for gunsmithing. After you go through the list, you will simply have to compare, shortlist, and purchase.
Best Milling Machine for Gunsmithing
1. JET JMD Milling and Drilling Machine
Why shouldn’t we start with our favorite? The JET JMD won our hearts the first time we used it, and since then, we have been strong advocates of it. Here’s why:
- It comes with a hinged belt cover. This particular feature ensures that you change speed with considerable ease.
- The worktable measures 9 ½ x 31 ¾.
- It has a 230-volt 1 phase motor.
- The machine also comes with a tapered roller whose primary function is to support the spindle.
- It has 2 horsepower.
- Since it is an electric machine, it is corded and does not require any batteries.
- The machine’s column is made of cast iron, and the roller bearings are heavy-duty, promising stability and support.
- The depth gauge is easy-to-read, and the swiveling head turns 360 degrees to give you precision like no other.
- The only thing to note here is that the JET JMD machine does not come with the stand. If you need it, you must buy it separately.
2. OTMT X2 Milling Machine – Mini
As the name indicates, this one is a mini milling machine. If that’s what you are looking for, please consider this. Otherwise, you have regular options on this list as well. Below are some of the reasons why we recommend this machine.
- It has 2-speed ranges that you can switch between smoothly.
- It doubles as a drilling machine and thus offers two feeds – fine feed for milling along with coarse feed for drilling.
- The variable speed capacity makes it a neat machine to own.
- Its drilling capacity is 13 mm or 0.51 inches.
- When you see the face milling capacity, you will see that it is 30 mm or 1.81 inches as opposed to the end milling capacity, which is 16 mm or 0.62 inches.
- Its spindle range is from -45 to 45 degrees.
- The machine has a dial that shows increments at .0001 inches.
- The bulb voltage is 110 volts.
- Since it is a mini milling machine, we urge you to check your requirements and buy this only if it mirrors them. Otherwise, it will be a waste of money.
3. Proxxon Micro Mill Machine for Gunsmithing
This one is another delightful milling machine for gunsmithing. It is a micro mill, just like the above option, and has quite a few features that you will love. Let’s take a look at what those features are:
- It has a variable speed that ranges between 5000 and 20000 RPM.
- It has a 1/8 HP motor with 110 to 120 volts AC and 60 HZ.
- The table size you should be looking at for this is 200 by 700 mm or 7 7/8 x 2 ¾ inches.
- It is stable and adjustable at the same time with a cast iron base. The rest of the machine is made of stainless steel.
- You can engage in multiple projects with this machine, including jewelry, optics, laboratory purposes, and model building projects.
4. SHOP FOX Mill and Drill
Let’s journey back to regular-sized milling and drilling machines with SHOP FOX. This one offers 21 lathe speeds and measures 6 by 21 inches. Here are a few more important details:
- The motor has ¾ horsepower and runs on 110 volts. It has a single-phase motor.
- The spindle travels from 0 to 20000 RPM.
- The machine has a precision-ground dovetail column. Thanks to this, you can make easy tool changes without having to adjust the spindle centerline each time.
- Its drilling capacity is 1-inch.
- You can lower the headstock to 14 ¾ inches.
- It comes with a cross-slide table.
- The manufacturers offer a 2-year warranty against defects.
5. Erie Tools Mini Milling Machine for Gunsmithing
This milling machine is ideal for face milling, deep milling, and drilling. You can adjust the speed thanks to its variable speed feature and use it according to your convenience. Why must you buy it though? Keep reading, and you will find out:
- Its drilling and end milling capacities are 10 mm each. The face milling capacity, on the other hand, is 5/8 inches.
- The machine comes with a 6-piece 4 flute made of steel. There’s a 3/8-inch shank as well.
- The table size is 9.45 x 5.70 inches.
- It comes with a safety shut off switch.
- Its chuck capacity is 1/16 x 3/8 inches.
- It has a fine feed, crossfeed, and lifting handwheels.
- In the set, you also get a spindle locking pin, the required wrenches, a drawbar, and an oil can.
You may have noted that our list includes regular-sized and mini milling machines for gunsmithing. They are equally common and serve a variety of purposes. Now, depending on what you need the machine for, you can choose from either size. You can also check out specific features such as horsepower, price, and voltage and then take a call accordingly.
We hope you zero in on the best. Good luck!