Are you a good gunsmith? Or want to become one? Do you want to master your gunsmithing art? Then you should take help of the best gunsmith tool kit. Today, we will see the top gunsmith tool kit reviews and also pick up the best product among them.
Gunsmithing is an art, and a professional gunsmith has more or fewer abilities of a woodworker, an artist, an engineer, a magician, a mechanic, and even a chemist. You will ask that what a chemist or a magician can do in gunsmithing art? Well, not professionally, but the thinking and maneuverable capability of such profession can do very much in producing great gunsmithing work.
Even if you don’t wish to be a master gunsmith and only want to do some tinkering or repairing work, then also you require a good-quality tool and supplies for the firearms.
Before choosing the best gunsmithing tools, you should decide which type of firearms you are or will be working on. Also, consider the space in your workshop where you will do the gunsmithing art. If you are ready with your list, then let’s check the reviews of the most sought equipment.
Gunsmith Tool Kit Reviews
1. Weaver Deluxe Gunsmith Tool Kit
This is a comprehensive collection of top quality gunsmithing tools from Weaver. The durable build of the 88 different usable pieces assures you of long-term use. It can be rated as the best Gunsmithing starter kit in the market, and so it is a recommended option for the beginners.
Weaver Complete Gunsmith Tool Kit has advantages like:
- It comes with a brass hammer with adjustable precision and various sized screwdriver heads.
- The included steel punch set can fit in any size of pins.
- The high-quality material of all the 88 pieces offers you perfect hunting gunsmith tools.
- It helps to keep your firearm in top condition always.
- The tool kit comes with a durable case which will protect the tools from rust and moisture.
The tools are not made in America. The bits are not marked with their size which could be more convenient.
2. NC Star Gun Smith Tool Kit
This small sized gunsmithing kit from NC Star comes with a wide range of tools. If you travel a lot with your firearms, then this can be the perfect choice due to its lightweight build.
NC Star Gun Smith Tool Kit has advantages like:
- The kit includes a bench block, a triangle mill file, a brass-ended mallet, a screwdriver, various sized bits, a hex drive, and some other useful tools for gunsmithing.
- The included safety glasses will protect your eyes while working.
- This tool kit has a portable design with a weight of only 4lbs & a 16-inch total length.
- All the tools are placed in a soft, protective case which makes the kit easy to carry anywhere.
- Affordable price and manufacturer warranty offer you to have a hassle-free purchase.
Though the components have good-quality material, they are not made in the USA which may not be liked by some users.
3. Lyman Gunsmith Master Multi-Tool Kit
The multi tool kit from Lyman offers all the needed equipment for the professional gunsmiths and for the people who are regularly dealing with firearms. If you have limited space in your work area, then you can go with this option as it comes in a compact design.
Advantages of Lyman Gunsmith Multi-Tool Kit are:
- The kit includes different types of screws like hex, slotted, 6-lobe, and Phillips who will fit in any firearm.
- Different types of included bits like Glock front sight, weaver scope ring, and 1911 grip bushing will suite to all size tools.
- The pin punches of .118-inch, .093-inch, and .062-inch make it a perfect multi-tool kit.
- Available in 48 pieces and 68 pieces options to allow choosing the most suitable one for your requirements.
- A plastic case will protect the tools from rust and makes them convenient to carry.
- It helps to keep your firearms in highest quality conditions as long as they desire.
As it is made in China, few users will doubt about the quality of the material which can help other brands to stick in the market.
4. Grace USA GCT 17 Gunsmithing Gun Care Tool Set
If you want a quality gunsmith tool kit which also has neatness and convenient use, then it is recommended to go with the GCT 17 from Grace USA. It contains a total of 17 pieces organized in a durable, protective case.
Grace USA Gunsmithing Tool Kit provides advantages like:
- All the 17 pieces are made from high-quality material to offer stylish yet sturdy repairing equipment for your firearms.
- The parts are made in the USA which means you will be assured of the premium quality of the tools.
- The kit includes a brass hammer with 8-ounce weight, eight hollow ground screwdrivers, and eight pin punches of brass.
- You will experience a noticeable difference compared to other standard gunsmith tool kits when you use Grace USA GCT 17.
- The vinyl pouch is soft yet sturdy to keep all tools in one place and also makes the kit comfortable for traveling.
The kit is small and for those who are looking for a complete gunsmith tool package; it is not a recommended option to go with.
5. Birchwood Casey Weekender Gunsmith Tool Kit
Here’s an excellent gunsmith tool kit that’s very easy to use and has a total of 27 tools. Birchwood Casey is known for its gunsmith care products for a long time, and it delivers even in this case. Let’s take a closer look:
Advantages of Wheeler Professional Gunsmithing Tool Kit are:
- It is perfect for calibers and firearms.
- It comes with different colored reactive zones within a particular target.
- The tool kit has just about everything a hobbyist or a beginner needs.
- It comes very handy for minor repairs. Many users keep it in their car’s trunk for emergencies.
- The kit has a hammer, basic punches, screwdrivers, etc.
- While the tool kit itself is very reliable and easy to use, a few users have complained about the sturdiness of the case. It is quite delicate and may break easily.
- The quality of all the tools is excellent.
Choosing the best Gunsmithing kit
Not every gun owner can be a good gunsmith worker, and that’s really ok. Because, repairing, cleaning, and maintaining of the firearms is a bit difficult, time-consuming, and an accountable task. You should be clear in your mind which kind of tools you will need for your specific firearm. You should also have a good knowledge of using various types of gunsmith equipment and supplies. All these together will help you choose the best gunsmith tool kit according to your needs and budget.
How to use a gun cleaning kit
Now that you have chosen your favorite gunsmith tool kit from our reviews let’s quickly learn how to use a gun cleaning kit. Here are a few general steps that will come handy.
- Start by wearing your gloves for safety. Otherwise, you can also wash your hands. This will protect you and your gun together. We highly recommend using disposable gloves.
- Now, pick your gun up and unload it. In fact, ammunition should not be anywhere near you. This is extremely important because it doesn’t take more than a few seconds for something to go wrong such as accidentally shooting the ammunition box or discharging the gun while it is loaded.
- Use the gun cleaning mat to place the gun on and clean it. Otherwise, your floor may be damaged.
- Go through the gun’s manual and follow the instructions to disassemble it. Keep every part separately and securely on the cleaning mat. If you don’t have the manual, you can use the Internet.
- Use a solvent formulated for gun cleaning and a cleaning brush to start cleaning the rods. Pull the brush in a single direction and clean it at least 5 times. Don’t push it.
- Now use cleaning patches to clean the entire gun. Continue doing this until your patch comes out just the way it went in – clean. If you see dirt and/or if it is black, clean again.
- Now use the dry patches to absorb all the solvents.
- Use a recognized and popular gun lubricant after you finish the cleaning process.
- After this, you can use a wire toothbrush to clean the exterior of your gun with a little CLP.
- If you have not been using gloves, make sure you wash your hands again. Apply some oil and rub your hands together to avoid fingerprints during assembly.
- Follow the manual or online instruction videos to reassemble your gun.
To keep your gun in top shape, you should clean it regularly. The frequency completely depends on how much you use your gun and which type of ammunition you use.
According to the reviews and user ratings, the Weaver complete deluxe tool kit is our top recommendation for the professional gunsmith.